Researching and designing bedroom furniture recently, specifically headboards, we have noticed a significant upward trend in upholstered headboards like those offered by Hillsdale Furniture. We get the appeal of the soft, comfortable surface and the great low prices but consumers need to be aware of care and cleaning requirements to be sure this type of bedroom furniture lasts as long as possible.
Upholstered Headboards – Care & Cleaning Tips:
- Vacuum your upholstered headboards frequently, especially if the bed has tufted recesses like the one shown here.
- Buy a dark or patterned material – it will show less dirt and staining over time.
- If your upholstered headboard material is fabric, and you spend a lot of time propped up in bed watching TV or reading, staining can easily occur due to body sweat, skin oils, skin care products, etc. Always use a pillow, blanket or towel as a buffer between you and the headboard.
- Reconsider purchasing “stain-resistant” treatment, after all you will be breathing in the treatment for months while you sleep. Instead spot clean as soon as a stain occurs.
- Clean and dry any spills immediately to prevent mold build-up in the underlying foam.
- Give your bed time to air out after installation to allow the foam to off-gas properly.
- Be aware that upholstered headboards are highly susceptible to bed bugs, so it may not be the best choice for a guest room or for those that do a lot of traveling. Bed bugs like to hide in the small seam and creases of upholstery materials.
Popular with today’s interior designers, upholstered headboards can really liven up the style of your bedroom, but make sure it fits your lifestyle and that you get the most out of your purchase by taking proper care of the furniture.photo credit: Dreams Beds and Mattresses via photopin cc